In this episode of the podcast, Kyle and Dean are joined by Lana Steiner (@LanaSteiner4), a math teacher, coach, and administrator from Saskatchewan.
Lana shares her insights on how she employs rich tasks and mixes in other teaching methods with Thinking Classrooms to make math more meaningful for students. She also talks about the importance of growth mindset and math mindset in learning math, and how to address learning gaps. Lana shares expertise on documenting observations and conversations, and how she uses student-led conferences and connections to familiar literacy terms to make sense of math learning for parents. They also chat about setting up students for success beyond math class, and the incredible community of math teachers in Saskatchewan.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Table of Rich Tasks: http://bit.ly/SKmathtasks
- Baby Beats – 3 Act Math Task (tapintoteenminds.com)
- The Detention Buy-Out – 3 Act Math Task (tapintoteenminds.com)
- Tap into Teen Minds – Real World Maths Lessons, 3 Act Math Tasks and Resources
- Berkeley Everett – Visualize the math you teach.
- Steve Wyborney’s Blog: I’m on a Learning Mission.
- Saskatchewan Mathematics Teachers’ Society – (smts.ca)